Sunday, November 21, 2010

An adventure to remember

So I almost died yesterday. It was great! Super exciting, yet at the same time, I didn't freak out as much as I would have thought I would... if that makes sense. Let's just start at the beginning, shall we?

Yesterday, one of my very best friend's older brother got married. This was a very exciting thing. Not just because it was a wedding, which is an exciting event no matter who you are, or what the circumstances are, but Josh was on the path of eternal bachelor-dom and nobody thought that would ever change.

SURPRISE!! Now he's married.

Anyway, the reception was held last night up in good ol' Salt Lake City. I was running a little late because we (my family) were putting up the roof on our covered patio. Because of this tardy-ness, I ended up driving into the big winter storm that hit the valley last night. Let me tell you, driving 30mph on the freeway when you're running an hour or so behind is not great for the nerves. No, sir.

However, I get to Salt Lake all in one piece and make my way towards and arrive at (despite the wrong directions I received from my GPS) the Utah Pickle Company. Oh yes, you read that correctly. The Utah Pickle Co. I love it. I love that that name was seriously on a wedding invite. So much.

I had a great time. The bride was beautiful, the groom was handsome and everyone was happy. Fabulous! The only fly in the ointment was the serious lack of parking (finally I just parked behind one of the catering vans and was later asked to move haha). (also my bestie's bf, but we won't go into that...)

The party is great, we eat gelatto and the couple is sent on their merry way via sparklers. Aww, tender.

The time comes to leave. It is snowing again. I love it from inside the car, with the car still parked because the snowflakes are just big and fluffy and gorgeous. Then I remember I have to drive home in this.

Woot.

I begin the treacherous journey home. The roads are icy underneath all the slush, it's just great. Welcome to Utah!

I wasn't too worried about anything. I was going pretty slow and I had Michael on to keep me relaxed. All is right in the world when Michael sings.

And then the truck came.

Basically, this truck was a total jerk. I swear, it was trying to get on my nerves, and boy was it working. It kept driving off to the side just enough so the slush would spray directly from under his wheels onto my windshield (faster than my wipers could get it off, I might add). Awesome. Zero visibilty. That's always fun. I ended up drifting a little bit into the slush in the middle and to the side of my lane. Oh, and then hydroplaning.

The funny thing was, as precious as Caesar is to me, I stayed surprisingly calm. If I had guessed how I would react in that situation before it happened, I probably would have expected myself to lose it. What if something happened to my baby?? I'd be horribly depressed.

Despite the odds, I kept my wits about me and the car under control. As soon as it was over, I actually quite enjoyed the experience. It was like unto a mini rollercoaster. I was still alive and Caesar was well and whole, so I could enjoy the experience and not feel guilty about it.

And Michael continues to sing. Ahhhh, yes.


Also, I am 87% sure I lost my toe ring in my friend's couch. Sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment