Saturday, July 30, 2011

It's about dang time

THE INSPIRATION:


AH! Haha *drools*... I love this dress! Basically, it's fabulous. A perfect party dress. Mostly I love it for the zebra print at the bottom. Ask anyone. I'm a sucker for zebra print. I even convinced one of the reps from a frame manufacturer I used to work with at my previous place of employ to talk them into putting it on the outside of a frame. And they did. Then he gave me the frame for free. Hello fabulous sunglasses!



And what girl doesn't need an amazing pair of boots? Every girl does, I tell you! Do these go mid-thigh? Yes. Yes, they do. They remind me of pirate boots and I love them. I've always dreamed of becoming a pirate wench and sailing away. This may just be my chance. Just need to find a ship and the hunky pirate that goes with it. (and as my fabulous little brother pointed out, these would provide a grand place to stow an easily accessible knife. Perfectly pirate-y.) Arrrrgh.


The best part? I already own both of these portentous items. Mmhmmm. Life is positively grand!


THE MEANS:

Say hello to my new best friends! These babies.... I tell you, I've said it before and I'll say it again: The shoes make all the difference! Granted, every time I've said it before I was referring to the success and overall statement of an outfit... But seriously, the right running shoes will literally make or break you. Physically. And physical breakdowns lead to mental breakdowns. Let's go for avoiding those, yes? I feel good about that. And, because old habits die hard (unless you're willing to unceremoniously slaughter them, like i am currently doing with many in my life right now), these shoes are also my new best friends for one more reason. They are now the most expensive pair I own. By a LONG shot. Not that they're worth the most (that would be the aforementioned boots worth about three hundred big ones, but do i ever pay full price for my designer stuff? ha. heck no.) So I've got to use these puppies to justify the purchase. I've never felt so good about such a big investment in myself. So far, they are performing just beautifully with the challenges I've presented them with. And that's saying something.

Now, I couldn't find an exact picture of this next one (i've been very particular about that with the previous pictures. they're all exactly what I have), and yes, I could just go take a picture of it myself, but it's a little too dark for that. I may come back and edit this part of the post later though... Anyway, the next part is the fully equipped, totally awesome weight machine with all the bells and whistles that my family has down in the basement. The running program I am currently working on only has three workouts per week. So I'm throwing in a little cross training on my off days. This will mostly be weight training, but I may add some pool time and pilates in there as well. I want to focus on lifting first and foremost though. I'm definitely looking into some help with this one... (then, in a few months, it's on to p90x. yeah, i'll defs keep y'all posted on that. it'll for sure be interesting!)

There are far too many individuals to credit them all, but the people who inspire and believe in me are a huge part of this. I definitely wouldn't be able to make any of these lifestyle changes without my family and friends who are keeping me in line. Most specifically, my workout buddy Heather. She has played an irreplaceable role in getting me started with all of this. And she's doing it with me. That's motivation enough, I can't let her get too far ahead of me; I'm way too competitive for that! There's also my dad, who is many months ahead of me in this process. A mentor and advocate for my success. These people are precious to me and make me want to be the very best I can be.

And lastly, but most certainly not least, I know I will come out victorious and on top because of my indomitable fighting spirit. I refuse to be beaten. I am going to take this challenge I've been facing for the majority of my life and kick it's sorry, impalpable backside. Anyone who knows me well can tell you I'm one of the most stubborn people you will ever have the chance to meet. Once I really commit to something, nothing can get in my way that will stop me.

Because of this, I feel like this particular poem (which is a personal favorite) is quite fitting and apropos.

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul
.

2 comments:

  1. Good work, girl! I'm so proud of you! Keep us updated on the progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Laura. That said, consider the following verses. They, too, mean a lot to me:


    Art thou in truth?
    Then what of Him who bought thee with His blood?
    Who plunged into devouring seas
    And snatched thee from the flood?

    Who bore for all our fallen race
    What none but him could bear--
    The God who died that man might live
    And endless glory share.

    Of what avail thy vaunted strength
    Apart from His vast might?
    Pray that His light may pierce the gloom
    That thou mayest see aright.

    Men are as bubbles on the wave,
    As leaves upon the tree,
    Thou, captain of thy soul! Forsooth,
    Who gave that place to thee?

    Free will is thine--free agency,
    To wield for right or wrong;
    But thou must answer unto Him
    To whom all souls belong.

    Bend to the dust that "head unbowed,"
    Small part of life's great whole,
    And see in Him and Him alone,
    The captain of thy soul.

    ["The Soul's Captain," Improvement Era, May 1926)

    ReplyDelete