Sunday, June 12, 2011

I live for that which cannot remain silent

"I am agog, I am aghast!
Is Marius in love at last?
I've never heard him 'ooh' and 'aah'.
You talk of battles to be won,
and here he comes like Don Juan;
it's better than an opera!

It is time for us all to decide who we are.
Do we fight for the right to a night at the opera now?
Have you asked of yourselves what's the price you might pay?
Is it simply a game for rich young boys to play?
The color of the world is changing day by day!"
--Grantaire and Enjolras; "ABC Cafe/Red and Black" from Les Miserables


First of all, I love musicals. Especially Les Miserables. Favorite book; favorite musical. And it just so happens this is my favorite song from said favorite musical. And they sing about operas! (even if it's only for about two seconds...) Though that's not why it's my favorite song; turns out I'm a sucker for guys who sing. And this song is chalk-full of them! I love it.

Thing is, I also love the opera. I'd fight for the right to a night at the opera now. (i wonder why the beastie boys don't sing about that too...hmmm...) Lucky for me, I don't have to fight for it.

I got to go see BYU's performance of Béatrice et Bénédict tonight. It's an opera based on Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing'. It was just lovely. The dialogue was in English and the singing was in French. There were, of course, English super-titles for those of us who don't speak French. I much appreciated these, because all of the best/funniest lines were in the songs. I would recommend going to see it, but tonight was the last showing...

I had little chat with my dear, dear friend who is oh-so-patiently waiting for me in New York about going tonight because I was in fact attending this event with her mother and sister. Ha. She was jealous, but according to her, the Met is going to have 36 different productions this season. So... we'll be busy just about every night. Oh, and add those to all the Broadway shows we'll be going to. This summer is looking pretty good from right here!

I do love a good opera. Or a good musical. Basically anything with good music. Music that can reach out and touch your soul, shake you to your very core. After all...


Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
--Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment