Friday, January 7, 2011

If music be the food of love, play on

I tire of feeling tears on my cheeks. I wish I was one of those people with the amazing ability to just disconnect and not care about other people.

To care is only human, I suppose.
I don't like it.

This past week, I've been reminded of this. At first by someone else, then again and again by myself. In my despair, I cursed something most precious. Love.

Then I felt guilty. I don't enjoy feeling bitter. Holding grudges is like pouring lemon juice into a fresh paper cut. Idiotic and painful.

So to make myself feel better, I turned to a favorite author of mine. Nothing cures the soul so well as the words of Victor Hugo. I didn't feel quite so bad about myself after reading this passage: "How sad is the soul, when it is sad through love!"

Oh boy, is he right. I don't think there is any ache or pain quite like that caused by love. It cuts right down to your soul and envelops your mind. Well, at least that's what it does to me.

As I kept reading, I came across yet another passage. "I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, and the stars through his soul."

I decided this is what I wanted to emulate. I don't want to drown in my pain, I want to love others so much that the stars shine through my soul, and if this just means I will be subjected to more pain in the future, so be it.

In the words of yet another hero of mine, "A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."

Thank you Gandhi. I couldn't have said it better myself.



I am determined to be brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment