Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fabulous. Really.

I really love school. I know I've said so a lot lately, but you should understand something--I have never been so completely drawn in to the classes I was taking before (except of course the public speaking class i took from my cousin).

Take yesterday, for example. On Monday, I was up and working on a project for my Interior Design class until about 3 am. I then woke up at 6:30 to get ready for my brakes class. Goodness, do I love that class.

Once again, I'm the only girl in my class; I have come to love and embrace this. Also, almost all of the guys were in my electrical class, so we know each other already. All of these things equal a really awesome class. Admittedly, the first two hours of Theory are kind of boring... But we had our first real day out in the garage where a couple of guys brought in their cars and we did inspections on their brakes.

I got SO dirty! I should have taken a picture of my hands because they were BLACK. I even managed to get dirt and grease on my face. And clothes. I loved it! I got so excited that my hands were getting dirty and the guys all laughed at me.

I take the laughter with a grain of salt. There are quite a few things I have no idea how to do that are second nature to these guys. Almost all of them work in a shop of some kind or have been working on cars since they were kids. I'm brand-spanking-new at this and they take every opportunity they can to get little jabs and remarks in. Take tire pressure, for example. Have I ever done that? No. Should I have? Um, yes. I was a car owner for awhile; I admit, I totally neglected those tires.

Anyway, I accidentally let it slip that I had never checked a car's tire pressure before. Of course they gave me a ton of crap about that, but then they made me check all the rest of the tires. That's kind of how things go. They make fun, then they teach me. I absolutely love that they have never ostracized me because I'm a girl. I think they've actually taken more of an interest in my education because of it. A guy will be checking something and call me over with a, "Hey Laura, do you know how to do this?" Or "What's this? Do you know?" "Here, I'll show you". That, to me, is worth taking every bit of crap they throw my way. After all, it's all in good fun.

I want to take all my classes with these guys. I love them like my brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment